Brad & Sarah sitting in a tree, k-i-s-s-i-n-g, first comes love, then comes marriage...

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Black Bean & Corn Sooie Salsa

Being the picky eater that I am, I don't care for any vegetables, including salsa!  BUT, being the future wife of a man who eats everything, I LOVE to try new recipes for him all the time. 

I first made this salsa for a graduation party back in 2009 and recently dug it out for our Razorback Tailgating (ya know, the one where we lost to Monroe?!!?).  This was a BIG hit at the tailgate.  We even had people from other tents coming to taste it.  I guess we can thank the salsa for our new friends Donald, Stacey & their baby Ryann!

Let me give some credit here: The original recipe was given to me by my aunt, Barbara Ballard, who received it from her friend Mary Klompus.

It's REALLY simple to make and won't go bad if it sits out a little while at a tailgate. The original recipe called for 1 can mexican flavored stewed tomatoes, 1 green pepper (chopped) and 1 small red onion (diced), but I tweaked it to 1 can mexican rotel to make it even simpler. Sometimes it's easier to have a recipe that doesn't require fresh ingredients, so it can be thrown together on short notice without having to go to the store. Also, without the fresh ingredients it keeps a little longer.
 
1 can black beans, drained (& rinsed if you don't want your salsa to look dark)
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
I can mexican rotel
6-8 shakes red wine vinegar
1 small bottle red or blush wine vinegarette dressing
 
 
Tip:  Add a little at a time of the dressing until salsa reaches consistency you prefer, the whole bottle may make it too runny.  I just use half a bottle!
 

 
 
 
 
The blush wine vinegarette was tricky for
me to find because it has a strawberry
on it.  Here's a picture of the kind I use. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Make sure to get the "Mexican Lime & Cilantro" Rotel.  Go ahead and get two, since you'll have enough dressing for two recipes.  Do the same for black beans and corn.  I drain a little juice off this, but I don't know that it makes a difference!
 
 
 
 
 
Do you have a favorite recipe I can test on Brad?

No comments:

Post a Comment